Update: MK2 Version
The MK2 version of the Novation Launchkey 49 has the same great features with added control.
New features include:
- RGB pads that provide color-matching clip feedback to help your workflow when you create and launch clips, trigger samples, or control devices in Ableton Live.
- The updated Launchkey MK2 also uses inControl to increase control over Ableton Live. Previously the inControl knobs could only control devices. With the Launchkey MK2 you can easily switch between controllers, pans and A/B sends for each track in your session.
- There is the new Device Control Function which gives you control over all devices and device parameters in your Ableton Live track via inControl.
- Requires external power. You can’t power it from your iPad without a powered USB hub.
- Launchkey MK2 now has four different velocity key curves.
- Select multiple effects directly from Launchkey MK2.
- Better knob design for a more solid feel.
- Due to changes in the firmware, the Launchkey Mk2 is unable to control the Launchkey iPad app via inControl however you can still use the keys to trigger the sounds.
Those are the updates.
With this Novation Launchkey 49 Review. I would like to tell you that the Novation Launchkey 49 is a midi keyboard controller for all major music software like Ableton Live, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Reason, Logic and Cubase giving you control of your mixer, transport and more.
The Novation Launchkey 49 is the latest midi keyboard controller from Novation. This midi controller features up to 50 physical controls that include 16 velocity-sensitive multi-color launch pads. The launch pads trigger and stop clips, and launch scenes in Ableton Live. This is the keyboard version of the Launchpad.
One of the cool things about the Launchkey is that you can run it not only with your computer but now with your iPad. They have an app called the Launchkey synth app which is very cool and FREE for a limited time and is used for triggering loops. The Launchkey will also enable control of your DAW’s mixer, instruments and more. You also get V-Station and Bass Station soft synths and V-Station and Bass Station soft synths.
The Launchkey has 16 multi-color backlit velocity-sensitive launch pads can be used to play drums and trigger loops without being near a computer. The launch pads are great for working out beats, drum patterns, or triggering clips and scenes in Ableton Live. The velocity-sensitive keyboard mechanism has pitch and mod wheels with octave, track up/down buttons.
Here are some features:
- You can instantly use all major DAWs and music software
- An entire suite of software for iPad, Mac and PC included
- 16 velocity-sensitive multi-color launch pads trigger loops and play drums
- Professional keyboard with 50 plus hardware controls
- Novation Launchpad app for iPad included
I like the size of the Launchkey 49 keyboard. Sometimes a smaller size is not quite enough for how I like to work and the bigger size is too much. Novation also makes a 25 key and a 61 key version of the Launchkey.
I hope you enjoyed the Novation Launchkey 49 Review. If you are looking for a great MIDI keyboard controller with trigger pads and one that is versatile enough to do anything with whatever system you are using then the Novation Launchkey 49 is a good choice.